If you’re a fan of both amateur cinema AND Arsenal’s midfield magician Mesut Ozil, this video might be a bit much for you.
Having scored the first hat-trick of his professional career in the Gunners’ 6-0 Champions League win against Ludogorets Razgrad, Ozil returned home with the match ball – but he wasn’t done.
The German World Cup winner ensured his fans got to see the proud moment he arrived home with his prize – we’re not sure the Oscars were ready for this.
Good night, Gunners. Took this one home with me tonight ðâ½ð#safestplace #thebestornothing @mercedesbenz @adidasfootball
A video posted by Mesut Ãzil (@m10_official) on
OK, so let’s break it down.
1. First, we’d like to point out this seems like the most staged thing of all time. Was someone waiting for him at home with a camera phone? We’re not so sure.
2. Ozil begins by opening the door to his car, which proceeds to fall on him. He climbs out, undeterred, and after missing the door with his hand the first time around, he manages to close it. Level one: complete.
3. Mesut then kisses the ball, which is very sweet, before attempting to spin the ball on his finger. It goes badly, hitting the midfielder in the noggin, but he recovers with a more successful attempt.
4. Ozil’s next move is to tuck the ball under his arm, unlock the front door (which is just massive) and then go inside, kissing the ball again as he does so.
5. But we get one last moment of awkwardness, as Ozil tries to close the door. “It’s too heavy Mesut!” we cried, as he awkwardly closed the vast portal to his kingdom.
Final thought: is the camera person still outside? Like all great cinema, we’ve been left on tenterhooks.